Brill Academic Publishers is looking for two to four indexers for its new bibliography for Buddhist Studies -edited in close collaboration with the Käte Hamburger Kolleg 'Dynamics in the History of Religion' at Ruhr University's Center for Religious Studies. The workspace is situated at Ruhr University Bochum, Germany.
The Index Buddhicus will be the academic bibliographical reference in the field of Buddhist studies. It will consist of bibliographical records for monographs, reviews, chapters in edited volumes, journal articles, reference works, electronic resources, and whatever is deemed relevant.
The Index Buddhicus will cover Western language secondary literature.
Indexing will be done online on the basis of detailed instructions and guidelines. In their daily work the indexer(s) will report directly to their supervisor the managing editor, Mr. Richard Mahoney.
- the identification of (sources of) relevant secondary literature
- editing and feeding the resulting bibliographical records into the Index Buddhicus database
- linking each record to a carefully designed classification and keyword list
- advising the managing editor on further optimisation of the classification and keyword list
- supervising the work of external bibliographical correspondents
- advising the managing editor and publisher on issues such as representation at conferences, marketing opportunities, improvement of the user interface, etc.
- preparing any spin-offs from the Index Buddhicus database
- min. MA level knowledge in the field of Buddhist Studies
- preferably experience in bibliographical work
- be meticulous and efficient while at the same time
- be well-versed in working with databases and aware of developments in electronic publishing and usage.
- be able to work within deadlines
The editors will be appointed on a project basis, but in the longer run a fixed position within the framework of the project belongs to the possibilities. The position is on the basis of a 50% to 75% full-time equivalent. Initial duration is for the period of twelve months. Salary is an hourly basis ranging from € 15 - € 18. Indexing a sample of articles will be part of the selection procedure. The project will officially start in December 2013 or January 2014.
In case you are interested, please contact Prof. Sven Bretfeld, Ruhr-University Bochum, Universitaetsstr. 150, FNO 01/176, D-44780 Bochum. Applications should be send in digital form (pdf) to sven.bretfeld[at]rub.de before 22 October.